The challenge for this project was to take the founders' ideas for a revolutionary new approach to providing energy analysis. While great idea is always a good start, going from concept to product is a whole 'nother story.
I was enlisted for my past expertise in designing and implementing advanced-technology projects that combined highly-interactive thin clients with complex, transactional applications and rich data sources.
I led the architecture and planning of a system that combines multiple, disparate technologies into a patented, unified architecture that provides real-time energy analysis. This is accomplished by:
- Ingesting 3-D models of buildings into a cloud storage system
- Extracting geometric data from 3-D/CAD models to provide analyzable vector points.
- Using geolocation data to provide localized data required to perform energy-use analysis such as rainfall, solar positioning, energy and building materials costs.
- Providing a rich interface that allows for real-time changes in the building's model through a web browser.
- Distributing calculations across a cloud-based analysis system
The result for the company led to the filing of several patents for our innovative work, as well as a $10M first round of investment.
- Stakeholder interviews
- Competitive analysis
- Technology evaluation
- Multi-year technology strategy
- Enterprise Architecture
- Proof-of-concept prototyping
- Technology leadership through Alpha and Beta phases
- Hands-on develoment:
- Java Development
- Ruby Development